Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can we use the forest roads/trails? 

Yes, forest roads and trails are open to on-trail non-motorized recreation including walking, running, biking, birding, photography, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing. We have recreational maps available for viewing and download on our recreation page. Printed recreation maps are available in the main entrance vestibule of the Classroom Administration Building and can be viewed on kiosks at gated entrances to the forest. 

2. Can I rent your meeting rooms and/or lodging? 

Groups, agencies, and companies are welcome to rent our meeting rooms for specialized trainings and meetings. We do not permit social gatherings and other events not related to our mission. Overnight lodging is available year round in clusters of cabins with single or double occupancy. These are dorm-style rooms with kitchen access and private baths. A few cabins have self-contained kitchens.

3. Are there any volunteer or internship opportunities? 

Yes! There are many ways individuals and groups can volunteer their time at the CFC. Volunteer opportunities vary by year, season, and need, but we would certainly like to learn about your interests, background, and skills, and availability. Please contact us.  

4. Is the Cloquet Forestry Center state land? 

Currently, the Cloquet Forestry Center is owned by the University of Minnesota Board of Regents and operated by the Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station (MAES), part of the UMN College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) in Saint Paul. The University of Minnesota is an educational institution that works for the benefit of all Minnesotans to solve the grand challenges of a diverse and changing world. 

In February 2023, the University announced an initial plan to move forward collaboratively — with the Fond du Lac, the University and the State of Minnesota — to return to the Band the approximately 3,400 acres that house the Cloquet Forestry Center.  You can find more information about this announcement here 

5. What do you do at the Cloquet Forestry Center? 

The CFC has been the primary research and education forest for the University of Minnesota for over a century. Research, education, and forest management projects at the CFC explore holistic and specific aspects of forest ecosystem communities such as: silviculture; wildlife populations and habitat, forest genetics, forest ecology, entomology, pathology, and hydrology. To complement our research and outreach mission, our facilities are used to support professional development programs, education, and meetings by a variety of organizations. Read 60 Years at the Cloquet Forestry Center to learn more about the CFC.

6. Who can I talk to about a dying or diseased tree in my yard?

UMN Cloquet Forestry Center staff can answer public inquiries related to tree care. In cases where we do not have expertise related to your question we will often refer you to Natural Resources educators with University of Minnesota Extension, or Forest Health specialists with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources