NASP12 Course Content
This is the list of pre-readings for NASP12. A link to the .pdf of each of the readings or link to the video is provided below. You are responsible for downloading, printing, and reading them before your arrival in Cloquet. Please bring the readings with you-- we will provide a binder large enough to organize them.
- Frelich, L.E. 2002. Disturbance, stand development, and successional trajectories. pp 90-123 In Forest Dynamics and Disturbance Regimes: Studies from Temperate Evergreen-deciduous Forests. Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Stearns, F.W. 1997. History of the Lake States Forests: Natural and Human Impacts. In Lake States Regional Forest Resources Assessment: Technical Papers, J.M. Vasievich and H.H. Webster, editors. USDA Forest Service GTR NC-189, 35p.
- DeRose, R.J. and J.N. Long. 2014. Resistance and resilience: A conceptual framework for silviculture. Forest Science 60(6): 1205-1212.
Background Lecture Content:
Refer to the NASP YouTube playlist: http://z.umn.edu/NASPvideos. Although some video content will be a review, we expect you to be familiar with it - in general, we will not cover this content again in class.
Week 1 Readings:
Week 2 Readings:
Additional course resources (mentioned during course):
- Great Lakes Silviculture Library
- My Minnesota Woods
- Mock, Karen E., et al. "Widespread triploidy in western North American aspen (Populus tremuloides)." PLoS One 7.10 (2012): e48406.
- Parshall, Tim. "Late Holocene stand‐scale invasion by hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) at its western range limit." Ecology 83.5 (2002): 1386-1398.
- Long, James N., and Karen Mock. "Changing perspectives on regeneration ecology and genetic diversity in western quaking aspen: implications for silviculture." Canadian Journal of Forest Research 42.12 (2012): 2011-2021.
- Davis, M. B., et al. "Dispersal versus climate: Expansion of Fagus and Tsuga into the Upper Great Lakes region." Vegetatio 67.2 (1986): 93-103.
- Forest Service Resources:
- Gomi, Takashi, R. Dan Moore, and Marwan A. Hassan. "SUSPENDED SEDIMENT DYNAMICS IN SMALL FOREST STREAMS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST 1." JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41.4 (2005): 877-898
- Jones, Julia A., et al. "Ecosystem processes and human influences regulate streamflow response to climate change at long-term ecological research sites." BioScience 62.4 (2012): 390-404.